sábado, 15 de agosto de 2009

Olhar chinês


"Growing up in Mainland China, I was brought up strictly and conservatively; when I first saw the film Basic Instinct as a teenager sneaking into an underground cinema in Shanghai, I was not so much shocked by the sex and violence in the film. Instead, I was shocked by the realization of how other people, including myself, are so numbed to ideas of intimacy, sexuality, and love. Since I moved to the United States, my need for self-expression has grown. However, my curiosity about how others deal with their identity in what is a fairly open society like America has increased. As a result I started this project Almost Naked.
I am fascinated with exploring the complexity of emotional nakedness and psychological connection/disconnection. Certainly my photography is my perspective and how I look at people and life in America. But most importantly, I want viewers of my work to make their own discoveries and judgments of my photographs."

Shen Wei